Saturday, April 11, 2009

On The Go Snacks

Howdy y’all!!
So one of the most common things I'm hearing at the moment is that people are finding it hard to find a quick snack or meal. Well frequenting sites that I normally do I came across a link to http://paleokits.bigcartel.com/. There it listed the ingredients used for these so called “kits” which contained natural ingredients some how crammed together for an “on-the-go-situation.” So I wrote them down and hit up the local TJ! (Trader Joes for y’all that aren’t privy). What I bought was the following:

1) Dried fruit - freeze dried - Strawberries.
2) Super Cranberry and Pomegranate blend.
3) Natural Beef Jerky - Teriyaki.
4) Blue Diamond Natural Oven Roasted almonds-no salt (I bought these buggers at Ralphs)

Here is what I did to make my own little paleo snack kits. I tired to cook it into my own kind of cookie or bar, but really didn’t have a binding element, so nothing stuck. I basically just ended up cooking it longer and it just turned out crunchier. Feel free to mix in whatever the heck you want as long as it contains the basics. (Basics= lean meat, veggies, some fruits, seeds and nuts, no sugar.) If you can think of a binding element or a better/ more creative way to put this stuff together please let me know, any advice is wanted, this was just an experiment.

NOTE: Notice the list and the pictures, nothing but natural, fresh ingredients. Hhmm, meat, fruit, nuts….pretty basic…pretty easy for all of those “i-don’t-know-what-the-hell-to-eat-people” or “IDKWHEP.”

Step 1: Bought ingredients.











Step 2: Cut the ingredients up.











Cut the ingredients up. I did this for the sake of things fitting on the fork/spoon and for possible use of just doing multiple shots of food while say driving or walking without choking or looking silly.

Step 3: Added the ingredients.










NOTE: I did not weigh or measure, I guess-ta-mated (I know, bad caveman Chris, bad!). I used 2 spoonfuls of the cran/pom berry mix – 1 handful of the dried strawberries – about 30+/- almonds and ½ small plate of cut jerky.

Step 4: Packaged and Ready to Eat on the Go!!:








Here is the final product in their containers, waiting for me to leave the house late and hungry. Why is there a duck? Because that duck is BADASS!! And I have two more just like him guarding my meals in case other “foragers” happen to roam by. Don’t f*k with the duck, trust me.
Final:
So there you have it. Again, there was no weighing or measuring involved. Rough guess-ta-mates puts this at about 2 block protein/2 block carb/3 block fat (or at least that’s what I was aiming for, for those zone Nazi’s out there). I might have come up somewhat short but this was literally my first trail. Feel free to make them out of what ever ingredients you want as long as they contain the basics. Also, feel free to make these as big or as small as you want. I picked the containers first and then just filled, next time I will probably make some what bigger ones in case I am real hungry. If you come up with snazzy and tasty ideas, please share! We are a community. Any questions please email me (xfitnut@yahoo.com) Thank you for reading, enjoy, take care and keep eating well and training hard.
Other Notes: Regarding meat: try to buy grass fed – no hormones – no preservatives – pretty much natural meat which hasn’t been screwed up by man and their little experiments they play on each other. It will be stated on the package if the meat is “clean” and with out additives. Do this for your beef, chicken, turkey etc. Also try to buy products that don’t contain WHEAT or SOY or even MILK. The products that contain those listed above could have effects on your body that are harmful and unbeknownst to you at the time. Trust me, finding products that don’t contain those additives is a tough and annoying process, but hey, sorry, that’s the way it goes. You don’t like it, write your congressman and join my cult.

No comments:

Post a Comment