Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Protein Powder

Ok, I know, they are tasty, convenient and easy to use...all things I have aspired to be in life (Wait..what??) Anywho here is the deal with the quick liquid meals.

Some people use this a supplement to their diets. Others make it the only thing in their diets (yes there are diets in which people drink shakes and only shakes for a month, dont worry about these people, they wont live long and when we are a little older we will do burpees on their graves).

From words in the herd, shakes release a high insulin response causing problems for those who already have problems in that department and a lack of the actual amount of protein to be digested. As Robb Wolf put it :"Why not shakes? I’ve not found them to be superior to solid food, I have noticed they make people fat. A new paper just came out comparing milk & cereal (shitty food) to a PWO shake (also shitty food) and the milk+cereal beat the shake with regards to glycogen repletion. Go figure. I’d wager salmon and sweet potatoes would be even better…not likely to see that study!"

As I told Cat tonight I occasionally make smoothies but you can also use meats that you can quickly throw down (think finger food ie sausage patties, chunk of steak etc). In all honesty I will resort to a shake as a last ditch effort. It is not my first go to. Because most diets we have encountered restrict food, and Paleo does not, if you can eat why not eat? If I do use a shake, as I have posted in the comments I try to go with a clean version like Isopure (Unflavored..really it has no flavor, its more bland than cardboard.) If I do use them I try to add coconut milk, water and cinnamon. Why cinnamon? Because most studies show that it blunts insulin from rising quickly ie blunts insulin response. Most powders contain sucralose, not good. If you are gonna bs me with Bodybuilders use shakes and theyre fine then you have no idea what a BB eats before competition when they look as lean as the do.

So youre probably asking still ......"so...can I use em...or not" and I will give you the same look that I gave the person who asked me ""I cant believe its not butter" is that a good butter to use?" It goes like this: we are trying to tighten the belt, suck it up, make you Look-Perform-Feel better, raise your standards, make a better you.....get serious, cut it for just 7 weeks and then considering adding it back in afterwards. When it comes to your LPF you have to ask yourself how serious are you about this. All the time and effort, why risk it for a f-ing shake.

Heres my newly created motto: Screw Shakes!! Eat Steaks!!

Boom!!
She doesnt like shakes...and she lifts more than you...get the hint??

5 comments:

  1. Bahumbug! ;-) I'm gonna limit my protein shakes but will not exclude them completely. I went to costco to buy eggs n stuff n picked up the turkey Jerky. To my surprise sugar or honey was in all the jerky packages. Shauna had a great idea: marinate chicken in orange juice then bar b q. So far I'm enjoying paleo. With exception to my protein shakes and (before I knew it) turkey jerky, I'm doing great. I feel less bloated after only 3 days. I'm looking forward to continuing and any new ideas.

    -Cathy rios :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet damn deal. Im asking Robb about the shake stuff, Im getting different arguements from different people I trust so Im trying to snuff out a real answer. Keep your fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Put steak in a blender and make a shake. Problem solved

    ReplyDelete
  4. bold move sir....bold move...but i like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. More Posts, More Posts...

    ~Marissa

    ReplyDelete